2.25.2009

ALEATORY #22: Fuck Buttons

Though it's a little late to say it, as everyone knows by now: Fuck Buttons, the experimental duo of Andrew Hung and Benjamin John Power, are intense. Even their name is intense. While probably a noun, Davecat has always hoped their name was an imperative, or a declaration of dissatisfaction with traditional clothing fasteners. With a sound somewhere between blistering noise and epic post-rock, the two electronically shredded their way into our hearts with their debut full-length Street Horrrsing last year, and it's been zippers and velcro ever since. Both gentlemen took time out of their busy schedule to be the subject of our twenty-second Aleatory, and we are, as always, extremely grateful.

+++


AH = Andrew Hung
BP = Benjamin John Power

1. Favorite word?

Musk (AH)
Transparent (BP)

7. Favorite composer?

Arvo Pärt (AH)
Jon Hassell (BP)

11. Favorite music video?

Gihm's "Green Grass of Tunnel" (Múm) cover (AH)
"Window Licker" Aphex Twin (BP)

12. Favorite band when you were in high school?

Portishead (AH)
Nirvana (BP)

16. Favorite campfire story?

The one about the girl's pet python that starved itself to eat her. (AH)
I don't know any good stories about campfires (BP)

18. Favorite pick-up line?

I bet you've got a fanny. (AH)
You and me and a bottle makes three (BP)

33. What's something you could teach anyone in an hour or less?

How to emotionally manipulate your mother. (AH)
How to deal with being emotionally manipulated by one's mother (BP)

34. What's the best joke you heard recently?

I went to a seafood disco last night... Pulled a mussel! (AH)
What did the 0 say to the 8? Nice belt! (BP)

38. What is your family like?

Slowly deteriorating (AH)
All over the globe (BP)

40. What was your best/worst subject in school?

Maths/History (respectively) (AH)
Science/art (BP)

43. What's the road ahead look like?

Wonderous. (AH)
Exciting (BP)

46. Where do you keep things hidden? What do you keep hidden there?

Under my ball sack. Peanuts. (AH)
I have nothing to hide, but if I did it would probably be down at the bottom of my bag. I'm pretty sure there are things in there that I didn't even know about (BP)

52. At what point did you realize that music was going to be your full-time occupation?

I still haven't come to that conclusion. I believe that will be an answer that awaits me on my deathbed (not to be too morose, but it's true). (AH)
I knew this was wanted to do this for a living ever since I was young so to be able to do this is a priviledge (BP)

60. What's the worst show you've ever played? What would you have done different?

The one where we played to an end of year student party. I should have cried onstage not off it. (AH)
We played to only our support band once in Birmingham and if I could do things differently I would have made sure there were at least a few people there (BP)

66. Worst song you've heard recently?

The whole set of one of the bands I heard last night (AH)
That X Factor winner's cover of Hallelujah by Mr. Leonard Cohen (BP)

76. Dream collaboration?

Kate Bush (AH)
Suicide (BP)

79. Best concert you've ever been to?


Sonic Youth Roundhouse 2008 (AH)
Godspeed You! Black Emperor at Camber Sands (BP)

91. Which single album should be in everybody's home?


Hounds of Love (AH)
Raw Power by Iggy & the Stooges (BP)

99. Licensing your music out to companies for TV ads: good or bad?


I could write a book on my thoughts on this issue... but basically, 4x4 car ads = good, ethical companies = bad. (AH)
Uggg. It depends. Leave me alone (BP)

100. Even with the gradual decay of the B-side, most artists still have vaults of unreleased songs. What's in yours?

Peanuts. (AH)
Some of our first ever CDr's will probably never see the light of day. Just for me and Andy to drag out sometimes on reflect on how things have changed (BP)